Important Notice for TRICARE® Beneficiaries Taking Select Maintenance Medications
Beginning October 1, 2015, a change in federal law requires you to refill prescriptions for select maintenance drugs through TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery or at a military pharmacy.
- If you’re getting these drugs now at a network pharmacy, you need to switch.
- If you don’t switch, you’ll pay 100% of the cost.
This change doesn’t apply to active duty service members. Please call Express Scripts at 1-877-882-3335 if you are unsure if you prescriptions are affected by this important change.
What are Maintenance Drugs?
Maintenance drugs are those you take on a regular, ongoing basis for chronic, long-term conditions such as those used to control blood pressure. This does not include drugs your doctor prescribes for a short-term condition, such as antibiotics.
What Are My Options?
We encourage you to consider your options carefully.
Option 1: Switch your prescription from a network pharmacy to Home Delivery.
- Log in to your Express Scripts account.
- Look for the “Switch to Home delivery” section
- If you have prescriptions affected by this change, they’ll be noted as “Home Delivery Rx Plan Rules”
You can also call the Member Choice Center at 1-877-882-3335.
Option 2: Switch your prescription from a network pharmacy to a military pharmacy.
- Search for a military pharmacy near you.
- Call to see if they can fill your prescription(s).
- If they can, call the Member Choice Center at 1-877-882-3335 and a Patient Care Advocate can help you switch.
Option 3: Talk with your doctor about using a generic drug instead of a brand-name drug.
You may still get most generic drugs at network pharmacies. You can get up to a 90-day supply of formulary generic drugs through Home Delivery for free.
What If I Do Nothing?
If you continue to get your select maintenance drugs(s) at a network pharmacy after October 1, 2015, you'll receive a letter from Express Scripts reminding you of the new policy. If you don’t switch, you’ll pay the full cost for the prescription(s). You can request a waiver due to personal need, hardship, emergency or other special circumstances, such as living in a nursing home. Waiver requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The change doesn’t apply to active duty service members, beneficiaries who live overseas, and beneficiaries who have other health insurance (OHI) with a prescription benefit.
Benefits of Using Home Delivery
We hope you’ll appreciate the convenience and peace of mind that comes with getting your prescriptions delivered safely and securely right to your home. There are many benefits to using Home Delivery.
Home Delivery is Cost-Effective
- Save money compared to a retail pharmacy with up to a 90-day supply of your prescription(s).
- Formulary generic drugs are FREE.
- Standard shipping to the address of your choice is FREE.
Home Delivery is Convenient
- Talk to a pharmacist 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Shipment options designed to deliver your drugs when you need them.
- Choose automatic refills & refill reminders.
- Manage your prescriptions through the Express Scripts Mobile App.
Multiple Checkpoints Ensure Safety & Accuracy
- Automated dispensing system ensures a high degree of accuracy.
- Your drug history is checked for potentially harmful interactions.
- Drugs are delivered to you in a plain, secure weather-resistant pouch.
- Specialty drugs are available through Home Delivery, and the Specialty Medication Care Management Program is free to you.
Join your fellow TRICARE beneficiaries who have already chosen the convenience, safety and savings of Home Delivery. It’s easy to get started. Register or log in here to transfer your prescriptions or call the Member Choice Center at 1-877-882-3335.
Our Commitment to You:
To ensure you continue to get the prescription drugs you need, we stand ready to assist you with TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery. Your satisfaction is our highest priority and we are honored to serve you. We take very seriously our mission to serve those who have served our nation.
Where Can I Get More Information?
For more information about this important change to your TRICARE pharmacy benefit:
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader.