Introducing Neurological Care Value
The numbers are immense: More than 100 million Americans have been diagnosed with a neurological condition, more than 500 neurological therapies and drugs are in development, and workers miss more than 157 million workdays each year in the United States due to migraines.
Two years ago, Express Scripts announced the SafeGuardRx® Migraine Care ValueSM program to help patients and plans improve migraine management. On January 1, 2021, the Migraine Care Value program will become the Neurological Care ValueSM program. This enhancement includes:
- Neurological conditions beyond migraine, starting with epilepsy and expanding in the future to additional neurological conditions.
- No network restrictions. All drugs can be filled at any in-network pharmacy, encouraging adherence.
- Improved affordability for medications.
- Additional patient outreach and support.
New therapies, new hope
New medications have given hope to patients who suffer from migraines or epilepsy While the list price of these medications can be high, they can allow people to live pain- or seizure-free:
- Preventative calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) inhibitors prevent chronic migraines. At a plan cost of more than $6,000 for each patient per year, sponsors need financial protection to offset this spend.
- The ditan class of drugs and acute CGRP inhibitors treat acute migraines and are safe for migraine sufferers with cardiovascular conditions. These new products may also help migraine sufferers who have not seen relief from other treatments.
- Epilepsy maintenance medications can help control seizures for the 3.4 million people in the U.S. with active epilepsy — 1.2% of the nation’s population. Costs for these medications average $1,000 per 30-day prescription, and early discontinuation is common, leading to seizures, hospitalizations, and higher downstream medical costs.
Neurological Care Value: Support beyond expectations
The program we built around these breakthrough medications represents unique opportunities to provide financial and clinical support. Among the benefits, plan sponsors will receive:
- Cost savings on preferred medications
- Exclusive discounts on acute migraine medications
- Reimbursements when members fall off therapy.
Patients will benefit from:
- Additional specialized clinical support and outreach from Express Scripts Neuroscience Therapeutic Resource CenterSM clinicians, including coaching on using an injectable medication and adherence monitoring.
- Flexible and affordable treatment options on any of the drugs covered by the Neurological Care Value program.
- Assurance of access to appropriate migraine treatments.
And we’re just getting started — the Neurological Care Value program is uniquely designed to address the brain and beyond, and provide support today and in the future around the rapidly changing neurological landscape.