Electronic Prior Authorization
Spend less time on PAs, more time on patients
Did you know that over half of the prior authorizations we receive each month are electronic? Now is a great time for you to make the switch to electronic prior authorization (ePA). Here’s why:
- Faster to send and get reviews
- Easier to use for prescribers, nurses and office staff
- Works for any prescription drug and any pharmacy
- Keeps all your ePA documentation and requests in one place
Get started today with one of these online portals:
Prior Authorization and Step Therapy Exception Resources
Please call us at 800.753.2851 to submit a verbal prior authorization request if you are unable to use Electronic Prior Authorization. Prior Authorization criteria is available upon request.
If you can't submit a request via telephone, please use our general request form or one of the state specific forms below and fax it to the number on the form. For example, use the general request form below if you would like to request a coverage determination (such as a step therapy exception) or if you would like to make an appeal for us to reconsider a coverage decision.
- Prior authorization general request form (e.g., use this to initiate step therapy exception)
- Prior Authorization form for physicians in Arkansas, Michigan, Oregon, and Vermont
- Arizona prior authorization forms
- California general form
- Colorado universal form
- Illinois required form
- Iowa general form
- Kansas general form
- Kansas Medicaid form
- Louisiana universal form
- Massachusetts general form
- Massachusetts oncology form
- Massachusetts Synagis form
- Massachusetts Hepatitis C form
- New Hampshire general form
- New York contraceptive exception request form
- Oklahoma general request form (including step therapy exceptions)
- Texas general form
For physicians requesting a Prior Authorization for patients with insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana, please call 800.842.2015 or submit your request via fax using this form.
Prior Authorization Statistics
In an effort to promote transparency of its prior authorization programs, Express Scripts publishes the following approval and denial statistics.